Feel The Fear and do it anyway?

Today I made a decision to do something which has absolutely terrified me for years. I have signed up for a creative writing workshop - a two day novel-based course coming up in the next couple of weeks.

To anyone else that might not sound so scary, but I have always been petrified by the idea of sharing my writing with strangers. I don’t know what it is I am so afraid of, but the very thought of it gives me The Fear. However it’s far too late now - I’ve decided to take the plunge. Also I have already paid, so I’m going to have to go through with it and be brave.

With that in mind, I am back here again. It’s not so very adventurous I know, given that (so far!) I would estimate my current readership to be a grand total of nil. However, it’s still a step in the right direction.

In view of all this creative fear and angst, I’ve unearthed my copy of Julia Cameron’s The Artist’s Way for artistic inspiration and support. I always find it a particularly peculiar book - perhaps just because I’m not always comfortable with the terminology used and the approach Cameron takes - there’s a bit too much about God and it has that slightly discomfiting ‘self-help’ quality to it. However, there’s no doubt that it’s a great source of inspiration to get going or to carry on when the going gets tough. It’s a good place to go for straight-to-the-point advice that always hits home: today I opened the book to read mistakes are necessary... progress, not perfection is what we should be asking of ourselves.

Couldn’t be better advice. As The Fear looms like a nightmare monster, I’m taking a quote from Henry David Thoreau as my motto: Go confidently in the direction of your dreams!

3 comments:

23 May 2008 at 09:12 sally said...

Hello,

Thank you for linking to my blog.

I would wholeheartedly recommend doing a writing course and doing blogging. They are good things that help diminish the writing fear I think. I had a morbid dread of letting people read my writing, and a few months or so of 'blogging' and (almost) two writing courses down, I've had a lot of it knocked out of me. It works.

So yes. Excellent.

I will keep checking on here to see 'how it's going'. Good luck with the course.

Sally x

1 June 2008 at 17:50 Katherine Woodfine said...

Thanks for the good wishes Sally! I will take your word for it about all this and keep going...

Katherine x

ps. many apologies for the significant error in my first post :)

8 June 2008 at 08:48 Ann said...

hello
love the new blog!
my favourite quote at the moment ....
'life shrinks and expands in proportion to one's courage'...
may it expand your universe ......
happy blogging!
x