Anyway, to get onto more positive things... one of my favourite bloggers, andrea of hulaseventy has a little tradition of writing a list of exciting things she hopes to do in the coming year each birthday. You can see her list of the 38 things she plans to do before she turns 39 here.
I really like the idea of a list like this. It's not about sensible, worthy things you feel you 'ought' to do, or even a traditional 'to do' list as such, but a list of things you genuinely want to do - the places you want to go, the projects you want to start, the adventures you want to have.
I was inspired to make my own list of the things I'd like to do this year, which I thought I would share here. Some of the things on this list are totally new, but others are things I have done before but would like to do again, or things I do already but would like to do more of. It was surprising how quick it was to write - I had a lot of ideas, but thought maybe I'd better save at least some of them for next year!
- knit a jumper
- go on an adventure by train
- sit around a midsummer bonfire
- go to a really good sushi restaurant
- find the perfect vintage dress
- pass my driving test
- practice the piano
- start a new novel
- get a bicycle with a basket (in an ideal world, it would be this one)
- go wild swimming
- finally finish reading ‘a la recherche du temps perdu’
- plant something
- go to new york
- make a charm necklace
- order moo cards
- go dancing
- find a lovely place to live (no green taps please!)
- learn to crotchet
- write a dissertation!
- have a handmade christmas
- eat a lobster
- investigate d-i-y publishing
- go to rye in east sussex
- take more photographs
- drink champagne (this one is in much the same vein as ‘eat more cake’ I feel)
- take a break